Thursday

chapter 1

It wasn't love at first site when we met for the first time at Fort Kochi. She looked like just another western yoga junkie, to my skeptical eye. A tad wannabe maybe. But I was so very wrong.

She met me in a sleeveless khaki top, her ponytail tied neatly in a knot. She came carrying the quintessential western yoga accessory, the plastic yoga mat. I was like, okay.  We exchanged a few awkward words, settled in and made small talk. Had a fabulous dinner at our local host's home. Puttu and a coconutty gravy from what I can remember with a black chana preparation.

The next day, she blew me away in her carefully colour coordinated Indian girls skirt and top. A very bright pink, not my favourite colour so far. But I was beginning to like her a lot already.

As I walked through the touristy town, with my first foreign date by my side, I couldn't help feel elated. It was my first proper experience of being with a girl way above my league. The more time we spent together, the closer we seemed to get, liking and loving each other a little more each minute.

We visited the old Portuguese graveyard, churches and temples and museums. Drank fresh coconut water and rasam, and bonded over everything under the sun. Made friends with a tourist couple over lunch at a swanky organic restaurant. Hung out. Those were easily the best days I can recount. She would teach me yoga in the morning, followed by fabulous breakfast with our local homestay hosts.
Followed by long walks exploring the shoreline, eating out and taking the ferry to the island.

And then, suddenly as the holiday was about to end, as we were about to part, she asked me if i would like to join her at the ashram, a long taxi ride away, isolated by miles and miles of sand, facing the sea. i am glad i said yes. it was fabulous to be with her and live the disciplined ashram life. starting the day with yoga and pranayama and ending the day with satsanga. we walked the beach and swam in the sea all evening. and discussed things. everything felt enchanted, even the most mundane of things with her around. i fell in love. very badly. and she did too but not so badly as me.




No comments:

Post a Comment